Comprehension Question Stems
Questions' are those where you can answer by using clues in the text
combined with knowledge you already have.
to use this guide:
when running a Guided Reading Session have these question stems next
to you and formulate appropriate questions as you see a context
hand these question stems to your group and ask them to generate questions
for the other group members
have other groups answer the questions.
Out Word Meaning from Clues in Text
- Have a guess at the meaning of '.....word.....'
Use the clues given in the text before this word & in the next
one or two sentences.
- I wonder what this word could mean? (Take an 'educated guess')
What clues from the text support this inference?
- We can assume '.....word.....' means (insert meaning) because
We can conclude '.....word.....' means (insert meaning) because of
what clues from the text?
- How do you know '
' means (insert meaning)?
- In this sentence the word (insert word) most likely means...
- What could the word (insert word) mean given (action) & (action)
Show me the part of the text that leads us to infer this word means
What clues in the text lead you to make this inference?
- (Insert word) has three meanings in the dictionary. Which is the
most appropriate meaning here?
- From the 'contextual clues' (hints in the text) what could (insert
Hint!!! Read past the word to get more clues!!!
- What clues point you to a possible meaning for this word?
- I feel there isn't enough information here to predict the meaning
of this word. Would you agree? What is our next course of action?
- Is it crucial that we understand the meaning of this word? Why?
- Will I lose a significant amount of meaning from the text if I don't
know this word?
- Substitute a similar word & see if the sentence makes sense
i.e. use a synonym for the unknown word.